View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 04:07 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There are plenty of administration positions that students can qualify for. From secretaries, to analysts, to web technicians, to accounting.
The web development work for McGill as actually being done by McGill alumni at competitive market rates, and that company has employed McGill students:
http://evolvingweb.ca/
It's not a job that two undergrads can do with their spare time on their weekends.

I've known of students do system administrative roles for various departments, and I've known of students run some of the newspapers. Basically, if students are qualified, they can get administrative positions with McGill.

Quote:
There is a difference between providing computers for special cases, then providing computers for basic research.

My room mate is a masters student in neuroscience, McGill supplies him with all he needs to collect data for his research. I am sure it is no different in any other department.

That being said, you still haven't pointed out why a university should buy a new computer to every graduate student. $2000 for a laptop is not bad at all, and can easily be provided and maintained by the student themselves.
I've already specifically given you the example of an electrical engineering phd student who was denied a laptop by his supervisor, but please, ignore it.

Well, they can not provide a computer, and increase the annual salary by $1000/year instead. Personally I think it would be better to provide a computer.

ETA: I've neglected to mention that many low income students don't have computers of their own.

Quote:
You also didn't even need to spend $2000 and $1200 on a macbook air or 'thunderbolt' monitor. You could have spent $1200 on something that gave you the same specs.
You don't want to be cheap on something that increases productivity. If it increases productivity, then pay for it.

The cost of employing someone, with all the administrative overhead, ranges from $50,000-$100,000; if at that point you are too cheap to pay $2,000/year for something that increases the productivity of your labor, then you're a fool.

The reason I bought this setup is that it gives the comfort of a desktop computer in the office, but it can be disconnected and used as a laptop during travel sequences. If I'm spending a month or two a year travelling, then I need a good, nimble laptop.

Quote:
No Canadian universities offer tuition waivers, it is part of having an entire public tertiary system. However, considering Canada has some of the lowest (with Quebec being the lowest) tuition rates in the world, this is not a problem.
I just showed you a link that the McGill physics department offers a tuition waiver.

For some other departments that apparently don't waive tuition, $4,000 is a massive problem on a graduate student salary. They should offer salaries that are $4,000 higher to compensate. But they won't, so they will end up with lower quality individuals. Nobody wants to spend five years of their lives on peanut butter and kraft dinner, so this is where they'll go if they have no other options.

When I was applying for graduate school in 2007, I specifically didn't apply to UToronto and UBC because I knew that $18,000 and $20,000 (salaries at the time) would not cut it in those cities even with the tuition waivers they were offering.

Quote:
You are comparing some private schools to McGill, the only two that got substantially higher salaries were from John Hopkins and Stanford. These are universities that have a combined 6,000 undergrads. Apples and oranges, dude.
I am comparing public and private schools to McGill.
Ohio State and UC Irvine are public schools.
The guy who went to John Hopkins had the exact same offer from University of Washington.
How many examples from public schools do you want? 20? 30?

By the way, even if all the examples were from private schools, MGill and all Quebec universities have to compete with private schools for hiring staff.

Quote:
How is it any different? Cost of living indexes are composed of 5 or 6 basic costs that virtually everyone accrues by living in a particular place.
I gave you some specific examples. Let's try again:

- Tuition is actually more expensive for academics in Quebec, because it's apparently not universally waived here.

Is that complicated? Can you get the point? If the sticker price is $50,000 in Massachussetts, and $4000 in Montreal, then your bank study will conclude it's cheaper in Montreal, even though no academic pays the $50,000.

The same is true of rent. Your study would conclude that rent is cheaper in Montreal than in New York, but that is actually specifically not true if you're employed by Columbia.

[QUOTE=buddahsmoka1;56586341]Is this a joke? I'll repeat it again. Montreal has some of the lowest housing costs in the entire developed world.

I rent a very nice 3 bedroom, two floor apartment in Outremont for $1200. Which is a 30 minute walk from McGill. Good luck finding that in any major city in North America.[QUOTE=buddahsmoka1;56586341]
I was paying $1200/month for a four bedroom with three floors a couple years ago, at a 15 minute walk from campus.

A friend of mine bought at a house, in a nice neighbourhood, three floors, four bedrooms, backyard, 30 minute walk to university, for under $200,000. In Montreal that would be $500,000 or more.

Everybody I know in Montreal is struggling with the high cost of living and high taxes.

Quote:
McGill students get health care and dental insurance. From my experience, unless you are looking for a family doctor, the health care in Montreal is good quality.
"Unless you're looking for a family doctor" lol. Are you serious?

As for your "experiences", you're a man in your 20s, your experiences are limited because your health has probably been good. My father passed away from cancer a year ago after a long struggle with crappy treatment. I know what I know about health care in Montreal.

Quote:
It said nothing about clothing. The purchasing power of Montreal residents is very high compared to anywhere in North America and Europe. I trust a study done by a reputable bank more than your anecdotal information.
The article mentioned clothing:
One of Greater Montréal’s assets is unquestionably its affordable cost of living. Whether for accommodation, food, clothing, medical care or raising a family, costs in Montréal are far less than in other major cities.
Having seen many places, clothing in Montreal is indeed cheaper than say Europe or Australia... but it's even cheaper in the USA.

All of this to say, the Quebec government can legitimately choose to not have world-class universities, and to be a second-world or even become a third-world backwater within North America. If they don't make the necessary investments, in either higher tuition or higher gover nment support, then that's what will happen. If you want to hire high quality staff, you'll have to pay for it.

Conversely, if you tell staff you're too cheap to cover business expenses, and that you can't afford to pay graduate students a living wage, you'll pay the costs in other ways as your society declines.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-16-2012 at 04:12 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote