View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Anyone think that Bernier is acquirable with Hainsey + Postma + 2nd round pick? I think that's somewhat realistic/fair. I really like Pavelec and all, but we really have nothing else worthy in the cupboard. I suggest Hainsey and Postma as they are expendable to us, and the only weakish spot on L.A. Is their depth on defense. If the kings want a goalie in return, switch Postma with Pasquale.

Feel free to rip into me if I'm way off base.
Exact opposite actually...LA has much much too much depth on their blueline. They have 6 defensemen better than Hainsey (make no mistake, all 6 defenseman the Kings have are EASILY better than Hainsey). They also have a bigger meaner exact same version of Postma in Jake Muzzin. Also in the mix is Thomas Hickey, who has been the final cut in camp for each of the past 3 seasons, and will get his chance very soon. Both Hickey and Muzzin were waiver eligible this year, so it was theorized the Kings would part ways with decent #7 Drewiske to allow one of the prospects onto the roster, but the other would almost assuredly be claimed. Both are equal to Postma, so not only do they not have room for Hainsey AT ALL (pretty expensive #7), Postma would only create another player on the blueline who would be lost to waivers (if this went down Kings would have to put Postma, Muzzin and Hickey on waivers...all 3 would probably be claimed). Not to mention they have Andrew Bodnarchuk, Nick Deslauriers, David Kolomatis and Andrew Campell down in Manchester, all of whom could probably step in as depth options right now. Depth on the blueline is certainly not a problem.

A more realistic offer might be Spencer Machacek, Eddie Pasquale + 2nd + 3rd. Kings are lacking for picks and prospects in recent years due to trading away top picks for players, so adding this kind of depth to the prospect pool would be nice. Give Martin Jones some real competition in Manchester (he is struggling right now, being badly outplayed by former Jet goalie (of 20 mins) Peter Mannino) and eventually one of them can win the backup role to Quick in a year or two. Machacek would fit in nicely on the Kings bottom 6, would play the grinding dump and chase system PERFECTLY, that'd be an unreal fit for Machacek.

Would the Jets do that? IDK, that's a lot to give up for a team with their supposed "franchise" goalie already locked up. Not to mention Pavelec is notoriously fussy about getting what he wants (remember the hissy fit he threw when they sent him back to AHL a couple of years ago), and I don't think he would want a young potential star goalie right behind potentially taking away his spotlight. Honestly I would feel better with Bernier as the starter going forward, but it's not the right time to make that trade, IMO.