View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Less than 10% of university students have cars, therefore, no, gas is not relevant to this discussion.
Is this an actual statistic?

Quote:
A once a year flight is hardly something to consider for 'cost of living.'
It's substantial. The difference of a few hundred dollars a year works out to a full 1-2% of annual income for graduate students.

Quote:
And no, they should not pay for personal computers.
Nobody suggested they should pay for personal computers, though I may have erroneously used that term.

They should pay for work computers.

Quote:
Wait a second here...so what happened to the poor little graduate student that cant pay for their own laptop and are eating peanut butter and kraft dinner?

You are something else.
Work on your reading skills.

I was poor growing up. Unlike you, I didn't have a laptop.

I then avoided kraft dinner and peanut butter by going to graduate school in the USA. We were apparently ~$6,000 above the poverty line. If I had gone to university in Montreal, I would have been poorer. More kraft dinner, or possibly, simply more debt.

Quote:
Low end laptops cost a whopping $200.
You can't do research on a $200 laptop.

I just checked on amazon. The cheapest laptop I found was $249.00, and it comes with a 16 gigabyte hard drive. It will be filled up before you even get any work done.

Quote:
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Within a year his salary doubled, his job became more interesting, yes the grass was greener.

When he was a graduate student, he was getting under $20,000/year to live in Montreal, and his adviser wouldn't even buy him a work computer. The grass was not greener on that side my friend. The grass was barren. Thus, he left.

Quote:
You know, it's really funny. You seem to think I come from a privileged background and have a pretentious 'attitude.' It doesn't seem like you have ever set foot in a true third world country, considering you seem to think Montreal, Rome, Lisbon and Madrid are losing their 'first-world status.' Go live in Bogota or Lima for a year, and come back to me and say Montreal is turning into a 'backwater' city.
I went to Chile and Argentina a few years ago, not that far off from Peru and Colombia. I was actually travelling there and interacting with people. I didn't go in to build a school or some other pseudo-volounteer work with some other white folks like many do.

Anyway things can change. Some countries move up, some move down. Your belief that a first wold country can never fall behind is erroneous.

Look what happened to Russia after the fall of the USSR.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-16-2012 at 10:19 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote