Thread: WJC: Division I-III
View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
In Division II Group A, Japan went undefeated and got promoted.

Hungary, who i root for because i'm of Hungarian descent was leading against Japan for 2 periods, but then blew it in the 3rd big time and finished second without a lot of their best national players. I believe they're getting better and have got a pretty good shot to be promoted next year.
Hungary losing was a bit of an upset. But apparently the Hungarians left off a couple of their better players for whatever reasons (possibly injuries). Though the Japanese team was more or less making their international debut (due to the 2011 earthquake/tsunami, the U18 Japanese team, this age level, didn't play in any tournament, along with the other Japanese teams of all levels).

However I'd say that Hungary is definitely on the upswing. For those that may not know, they just launched a Budapest-based team in the MHL (Russian junior league). While it only has a few Hungarians on the team right now, it certainly can't hurt to have the team around, as it will give an outlet for the best Hungarian players to stay in their home country and compete against some of the best junior players in the world. Hungary is definitely one country that is growing hockey properly. They are already a nation that is serious about promotion to the Elite level of the WC (did it in 2009 for the first time since the 1930's) and are really developing the sport in the country. Over the next decade I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a mainstay in the Elite level of the WC and start to produce NHL draft picks.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote