12-16-2012, 11:16 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Is this an actual statistic?
No.

Quote:
It's substantial. The difference of a few hundred dollars a year works out to a full 1-2% of annual income for graduate students.
Most international students don't even pay their own flight fares to visit their parents.

Quote:
Nobody suggested they should pay for personal computers, though I may have erroneously used that term.

They should pay for work computers.
And for high intensive studies, they do. But for most, it is not necessary. Why should a university pay for a 'work computer' for a masters in philosophy or political science?

Quote:
Work on your reading skills.

I was poor growing up. Unlike you, I didn't have a laptop.
I bought my first laptop with my own money at age 20. The same year I entered my first year of college education.

Quote:
I then avoided kraft dinner and peanut butter by going to graduate school in the USA. We were apparently ~$6,000 above the poverty line. If I had gone to university in Montreal, I would have been poorer. More kraft dinner, or possibly, simply more debt.
My roommate, or my ex-girlfriend, who both are graduate students at McGill do not eat Kraft dinner or anything comparable.

Quote:
You can't do research on a $200 laptop.

I just checked on amazon. The cheapest laptop I found was $249.00, and it comes with a 16 gigabyte hard drive. It will be filled up before you even get any work done.
So then buy one worth $1000. You have a salary of $25K, you can afford it. If you need extra money, get a position as a TA or RA.

Quote:
Within a year his salary doubled, his job became more interesting, yes the grass was greener.

When he was a graduate student, he was getting under $20,000/year to live in Montreal, and his adviser wouldn't even buy him a work computer. The grass was not greener on that side my friend. The grass was barren. Thus, he left.
Good for him, I am sure there was someone to replace him instantly after he left. Maybe it was someone who wouldn't leave because the department wouldn't buy him a computer.

Quote:
I went to Chile and Argentina a few years ago, not that far off from Peru and Colombia. I was actually travelling there and interacting with people. I didn't go in to build a school or some other pseudo-volounteer work with some other white folks like many do.
Actually, they are quite far off from Colombia and Peru. Chile has the highest income per capita in South America, while Buenos Aires is a far cry from Bogota or Lima.

Are you seriously looking down on people who do developmental work in developing countries?

Quote:
Anyway things can change. Some countries move up, some move down. Your belief that a first wold country can never fall behind is erroneous.

Look what happened to Russia after the fall of the USSR.
I never said they can never fall behind, your examples are just erroneous. Southern Europe never had comparable income levels to Western and Northern European countries in modern history. Nor are they 'losing their first-world status.'

Russia never had the living standards of Western Europe, so once again, erroneous. And even after the fall of communism, the living standards in Russia were still higher than 80% of developing countries.

BTW, check out this ranking, guess who made the top 10? And that 'quality of living' index, you know the one that distinguishes cities from first class cities and 'backwater cities,' Montreal has one of the highest scores in the entire world:

http://www.topuniversities.com/stude...tudent-cities/