View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 11:46 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am still having trouble understanding something:

Apparently in Ohio State, the stipends are so high that they can afford laptops and regular travel.

But at McGill, the graduate students are eating kraft dinner, cannot afford a laptop, and can't see their parents once a year.
I already told you.

I got ~25K towards the end, it was ~22K in 2007. The laptop and work computer was paid for. I paid for a trip home once or twice a year. The poverty line there was ~17K or ~18K, don't remember.

At McGill, the comparable amount is ~22K for the same department, though Montreal is a much more expensive city than Columbus.

Anyway, I take back the Kraft Dinner part. I think debt is a more likely outcome. Lots of people I knew were going into debt while doing graduate degrees in Quebec. People choose debt over Kraft dinner, which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
http://www.gradsch.osu.edu/Depo/PDF/...demic_Year.pdf

Oh my, averages at Ohio St. are less than McGill.
I think those numbers are based on 9 months of salary. That works out exactly right for my department.

Most people got the additional 3 months. Admittedly, I had a roommate in the English department, and she told me some of her friends didn't get summer salary.

ETA:

I just checked your link again. It's as I thought, those are the 9 month salaries (some are 10 month salaries), not the annual salaries. From the first page:

Data for Benchmark/CIC institutions represents information for 9/10 month appointment

Why don't you read your own link?

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-16-2012 at 11:56 PM.