DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
No.
OK, so don't bring it up.

Quote:
Most international students don't even pay their own flight fares to visit their parents.
Does Santa Claus pay for it?

I went home once or twice a year. Trust me, I had to pay for it.

Quote:
for high intensive studies, they do. But for most, it is not necessary. Why should a university pay for a 'work computer' for a masters in philosophy or political science?
They probably don't need as good a work computer. You still want a separate computer.

Quote:
bought my first laptop with my own money at age 20. The same year I entered my first year of college education.
Good for you that you could afford a laptop.

Quote:
then buy one worth $1000. You have a salary of $25K, you can afford it. If you need extra money, get a position as a TA or RA.
By all means -- don't cover business expenses. See what that does for recruitement for retainment.

Quote:
for him, I am sure there was someone to replace him instantly after he left. Maybe it was someone who wouldn't leave because the department wouldn't buy him a computer.
Extremely unlikely they're able to find anybody good in a non-supportive environment. In general most graduate students don't work (it's a tough job), and if they're being idiots they will have an even lower success rate.

My friend left for other reasons as well. The computer is just one example. It was a general non-supportive environment.

Quote:
you seriously looking down on people who do developmental work in developing countries?
Depends on the organization.

Most people from third world countries I speak to have been clear: these organizations often do more harm than good.

For example, I used to think Mother Theresa was the embodiment of the good. I then met people from India... they told me a different story. They reviled her and all the suffering she caused. I then began to take a more critical look at the universally golden image of western NGOs presented to us by the mainstream media.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote