View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Canadians do care about the WC. They don't like to talk about it, but they ALL Know about it very well and they know how Canada does. I remember packed pubs and bars last time Canada made the finals in 09, and that was during daytime. 2008 was the biggest hype I've seen for WC in Canada. Come on, the number #1 hockey crazy country in the world doesn't care how their National team performs on a world stage?

Players care too, but they treat Hockey Canada and playing for the country like a business, to an extent ("is it good for my career?" comes before "is it good for my country"), the same way Hockey Canada treats them. Just look at the pressure they put on 18,19 year old kids to keep a tradition going. Hockey Canada is a brand with product (Crosby, Olympics). Russian National Hockey team is a social project and FHR doesn't make a profit, they make enough to cover SOME expenses. It's a fundamental cultural difference between the hockey nations.

Just to be clear, I don't think that Hockey Canada is better or worse, but I do think that each approach is appropriate for the country. But "not caring" is not the right way to describe it, because it's not quiet true.
Hockey Canada is a non profit.