View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 05:16 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Well, I know Bob McKenzie at the draft said that some scouts he spoke with said DP could be the best "transition defenseman" in the draft, and others said that he could be the best passer. But let's be honest: as high as I am on this player, he is not at the same level as Morgan Rielly. Rielly is just on another level of ability, and has Lady Byng PIM numbers (I think he has had one penalty the entire season).

But this does not diminish DP's prospect value or his potential as a player. It is merely the case of what happens when you're picking #8, as opposed to picking in the top 3 or 5. He does have those characteristics, however, and he has done absolutey NOTHING to suggest that the Pens have made a mistake. All he has done is improved as a player and put up great numbers all year.

This is exactly my point. He was, in that sense, widely regarded across the league as a top-10 talent before the season started, and the final rankings happened to have him outside of the top-10 -- which could as much be about other players stepping up or being "hyped" than it was about DP's overall potential & value as a prospect.
Do you think its ability, mind set or just the team around them? I think Rielly has more bravado to his game than DePo. He leads the charge and I think thats the big difference between their games. I actually like Pouliots game more. He moves the puck up ice and follows the play more than leading the rush. Not that Rielly can't do that or that he's caught out of position a lot but I think he's more of a risk taker than Pouliot. Maybe Rielly has to play that way though because of his team.

The comparison between the two remind me a little of Leetch and Zubov. Leetch being more of the puck rusher and Zubie being one of the best long passers I've ever seen. In the end they were both pretty awesome.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote