View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 06:09 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
yer leadin me astray

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That's not an "elite" talent" when there's no strong slap shot to go with it.

The fact that he relies on the wrist shot so much masks an underlying deficiency - Schultz's slap shot is along the lines of your average NHL defensive defenseman. Ladislav Smid, Luke Schenn, etc. It's average (if that) for an NHL player. Sure his wrist shot is nice, but how many NHL defenseman pot 10+ goals a year with a wrist shot (last one I can remember is Tom Gilbert in his rookie season)?

Goalies in the NHL aren't going to let in wrist shots from the point to the tune of 15-20 goals a season, no matter how hard they're shot. They're just too damn good.
Schultz's advantage is that these shots aren't necessarily coming from the point - he's skating down to the faceoff dots to unleash them.

Once NHL opposition realizes they don't have to fear him at the point, they're just going to work to neutralize his passing and ability to get to his "prime" scoring areas in the circles.

I have faith in his passing ability. He'll put up points regardless. For those doubting his point-scoring ability - consider that he's joining the top NHL PP unit from a season before - a unit that had NO Dman even close to his calibre to anchor the PP. It's a scary thought.

I project 35-45 points his first year - but there's no reason why if things go well he can't put up 50+
His wrist shot is more dangerous than most guy's slap shot. The goal he scored last night was zipped in from the blue line right inside the far post after receiving a (bad) pass from Hall on his backhand. He can just put it exactly where he wants it. He'll score a lot of goals (and get a lot of assists from this ability) at the NHL level.

Mike Green and Erik Karlsson both primarily rely on their wrist shots and it seems to work out ok for them. Same with Rafalski - and I'm pretty sure my wrist shot is harder than his. A quick snap from the blue line can be incredibly dangerous.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote