Thread: Value of: Max Pacioretty
View Single Post
12-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Montreal Shadow
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
Wow, ive never heard that one before

Seriously? You can't just answer the question?

That is the most used quote on these boards and it is quickly getting annoying.
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
But if he was on another team, would he worth more to this team than what Montreal would be willing to give up for him?

Just for fun, if he wasn't on our team, but on a team like Colombus, how much Montreal would be willing to give up for him?
If Montreal were to move him, it would probably require something outrageous the trading partner would not want to give up. He's developing into a good powerforward with a nose for the net. These players are rare and considering Montreal wants to shake of its ''small and soft'' label, a player like Pacioretty is invaluable to the Canadiens. He's exactly the type of forward the team's been looking for years.

Toronto for example, in my opinion would need to do that:

Rielly+ 2014 1st+ 2nd

Would the Leafs be willing to give up that much? I don't think so. Would Montreal be willing to give their best winger for less? I don't think so either.

Players like Pacioretty don't get moved out of the blue like that usually. Not only that, but the timing of trade him is god awful. Will he score 40 goals next year? Will he have a slump? Will he settle down as a 30-30 player? Montreal would move him out of desperation only. Guys like him would change team either because their contract has expired and they can't reach and agreement or if the team is dissatisfied with their play and decides to trade them. Otherwise there'd be no reason to trade him unless:

1. You get a gross overpayment in return.

2. You get a proven asset of the same value in return. This usually results in a lateral move more than anything.