View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
With the addition of shootouts I'd get rid of the point system personally and just go wins-losses. If you're gonna have shootouts, make them count. By awarding points to the losing team you're kind of defeating the legitimacy of the shootout, no? The three point system would also be much, much better than the current one. Basically anything but the current system.

My ideal system is the one that hockey used for decades before the late '90s, two points for a win, one point for a tie, zero for a loss whether it came in overtime or not. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the percentage of ties in that sport is nuts, why is hockey not okay with ties?
Clearly the league DOESN'T want an SO win to be seen as 'as legitimate' as a normal win. That's why they introduced ROW as the #1 tiebreak.

And for the 2nd point, it's because Americans like there to be a winner and a loser. To people a tie is just a waste of everyone's time. I personally don't see it that way, and would rather have ties than a shootout. But I know I'm in the minority in that department, maybe not among HFers but of fans nationwide, a bulk of who are casual fans that want to watch a game knowing they either won or lost.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote