View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
To backtrack:

I think it would be good for Quebec to have globally competitive universities. Part of the requirements for that is to offer competitive salaries and work environment. Don't penny pinch on work computers and salaries and infrastructure when comparable schools do not.

You on the other hand, do not seem to disagree with the desirability of having globally competitive universities, but you seem to think it can be done by cutting wages to some of the staff, and reducing spending on infrastructure. You have argued that employees should not be given work computers on the basis that they probably already have personal computers.
Unlike you, I don't consider an unlimited stream of funds coming into the coffers of universities. Instead, I realize that there is always going to be shortages in funds. The best universities in the world get the most of out the money they have, McGill has done this for decades. Canadian universities receive less funding, charge lower tuition but yet we have two in the top 20 in the world, and 3 in the top 40.

One of the ways you can deal with lack of funding is to offset the costs onto the students or workers. Laptop computers have become so common place and affordable, they do not need to supply every worker with a computer. Why buy chalk or felt pens en masse costing thousands of dollars when you can get the profs to buy one box for the year. Why run a student kitchen when you can rent out the space to a catering company?

These are just things that universities have to do, that every university has to do.