View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 12:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well, if the season starts this year, it is highly unlikely he will be back this season. Most European contracts only have transfer windows over the summer, and quite clearly HPK is not interested in releasing him this season.

Do I think the Jets organization wants him back? Absolutely. They have shown a tendency to buy low, sell high. Right now, Fehr is a bargain player. After the season last year I was a huge advocate of re-signing him to a one year, league minimum, two-way deal. Give him a chance in camp, but most likely you send him to St. John's and let him have a healthy confidence boosting season down there. Refind his scoring touch, and then in 13-14 you may very well have a big, grinding 20g, 40pt 3rd line winger on your team for dirt cheap, if he can get back to old form. Worse comes to worse you have wasted a roster spot in St. John's for one year, no biggie. Now the exact same scenario seems to panning out, except he's playing in the less physical SM-Liiga, which might have been even better. And he's tearing it up.

Will he want to come back? I don't see why not. He will have very little other option, I can't see many (or really ANY) other teams being interested in what will be 28 year old goal scoring winger with an injury past that couldn't score last we saw. I think the Jets sign him to a 1y, 750K twoway deal for 13-14 and give him the opportunity to earn a spot in camp. Remember that with Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Wellwood all coming off the books, there could be massive turnover in the forward ranks. Personnally I hope they bring back Antro and Poni for 13-14, but still Fehr is a guy who could play everywhere from the vacant 2nd line RW spot, to anywhere in bottom 6 adding some offense, but also doesn't matter if he is often a healthy scratch. Either he turns it around in 13-14 and becomes the 20-20 player again, or he doesn't he is the extra versatile forward for a year or spends 13-14 in STJ, no matter it's a medium reward, no risk situation.
According to some people in the know, Fehr signed a deal with a post-lockout opt-out, so he should be available to sign immediately after the lockout. The way he is playing and the fact that he is in game shape should get him a look somewhere.

I personally would like to see the Jets give him another shot. There is no doubt in my mind that he is better than Machacek and it looks to me that Mach is in line to be the Jets 12th or 13th skater. I really don't know where they would play him though. The Jets top 9 spots are all but spoken for (Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Olli, Kane, Burmi, Welly, Antro, Poni), that leaves the 4th line and Slater, Thorburn, Mittens and Machacek are already under contract. Waiving Thor and adding Fehr would be the best option, but I don't see it happening.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote