View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Actual Thought
Boy was I wrong!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Even if you're an average to below average NHLer... Odds are you're still good enough to be bouncing around between pro leagues for at least 5-10 years. If you're making 60-100k/year playing hockey, it's still better than what most people make per year in annual salary. It's on YOU to manage your finances accordingly, responsibly and try to plan for the future. If a player remains a consistent, average (i.e. bottom level) NHLer for the majority of his career, the reality is he eventually becomes a millionaire in this day and age, which opens many opportunities for himself in terms of careers/business ventures after hockey.

Yes in most cases they put their heart and soul into their work, the game, the training, all of it... just for a chance to play at the highest level if even for a short time but the bottom line is even the "poor" ones are appropriately compensated for all they put in or "sacrifice". Ultimately, they make the choice and they're playing a game. A game, remember.

So yes in many, maybe even most cases the players have a short window to make their money... but they DO, and they are. I hate it how people here make it sound as though things are unfair and they deserve more/are crying poor. They made the choice to chase a dream, to live this life and choose this path. Now suck it up and be happy with your millions, dare I say, hundreds of thousands. End of story.
And even if your the poorest owner you can bleed millions annually playing with your toy franchise and never see any lifestyle change. Boo hoo, I am shedding a tear for them right now