View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
The NHL, as it stands, won't survive another lost season. All 30 teams will not be back. People will lose their employment, both staff and players. It is unfortunate because through this lockout, the two sides have been much, much closer as opposed to the last one. A deal is there this time. But the stubbornness of the two, the leader of each side wants to win now. It is not about salvaging a season, it has become about egos. It's a damn shame. Yes this is a business but also yes this is still just a game that entertains the many that were not blessed enough to play it themselves, or at the very least be paid to do so.
Theres no cognitive thinking involved here. The NHL and the PA made the calculated decision that fans are die-hards and will be back...that damage will be limited longterm. How else can you explain such an utter disregard for reaching a sensible conclusion to this lockout?

But there is trouble brewing. The league revenues that Bettman crowed about when it suited him were bolstered primarily by an abnormally strong Canadian dollar and the top 5 revenue producing teams in the NHL. Whats worse is there is a lot more entertainment out there today than there was in 2004-2005. Explosion in popularity of the NFL, streaming movies/etc, social media. Theres a lot more out there that makes missing the game a little less painful.

Personally, I was a 22 year old kid that just graduated college back in 04-05. I was lost without the NHL. I thought my world was ending. Now? Im a 30 year old with a wife and a job and, to be honest, I've been a better employee and a better husband not having to invest 3 hours every other night to a hockey game.

My point is that priorities change, and if the NHL continues to take that for granted, they'll be as good as dead.