View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I guess I fall more on the positive side, though as always I could be convinced otherwise.

Goalies who come up huge every spring are pretty few and far between. We could find choking moments on every goalie's record -- even Roy took a lump when he was up for voting. To me a "choker" is someone who comes up small every year, and Joseph definitely wasn't that. His performance with Edmonton was one to tell the grandkids, so he did have that higher gear. Same as Beezer in '96, same as Barrasso in '91, so to me the playoff comparison seems like a big wash. It kicks back to the regular season where Joseph was good year in and year out.

The fact that Barrasso was a Penguin at just the right time isn't all that impressive to me unto itself. That doesn't elevate him over Beezer and Joseph in terms of individual performance.

Edit: Barrasso's Vezina record on the other hand might tilt the argument in his direction.
I don't think Jospeh is a choker either, but I don't think he really had a defining moment where he rose to the occasion. True, he had limited opportunities, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give Barrasso extra credit for rising to the occasion. I realize those Pens teams were stacked, but HawkeyTown posted proof that Barrasso finished (a distant) second to Mario Lemieux in Conn Smythe voting in 1992 - I have no idea how that reporter got his hands on the voting, but he reported it.

I also think the Vezina voting also points to Barrasso having had higher highs in the regular season than Cujo.

I knew that Barrasso vs Cujo would spark a debate - it really is a matter of peak vs consistency, I think.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote