View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I have looked at the destinations of top FAs in the past. It is really a narrow list of teams that grab top of market FAs and I look at it over a very extended timespan. Most of the guys that have been named were not the top available at their position in that year which has been my criteria regarding the attractiveness of markets.

There was an article and poll some time ago about the players' opinions of cities as destinations. Edmonton and Buffalo were bottom of the list. I don't share the opinion but it is what it is. There have also been some teams that were previously rejected for what I would term very unfriendly relations with their respective front offices. It was obvious which teams those were.

Summarizing, NY and Philly topped the list as favorite destination. Chicago (recently), Boston, Colorado and Detroit were up there. Nashville and Anaheim had one off entries in the sweepstakes. Toronto and Montreal have frequently seen entries in the second tier of FAs, but never the first tier (best available at the postion, forward, dman, goalie).
Not doubting what you found out. But was it put into context as well? How many top end FA's were available, and how relative/competitive were Canadian teams at that time? Since the lockout, only Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton (briefly anyway) had competitive teams. Teams go through cycles of having success, and rebuilding/retooling. When Edmonton is blowing goats like they have the last few years, it doesn't surprise me in the least that a star player didn't sign there.

My point is there's so much that goes into a player making this decision that while we can point and go Canadian teams never get the top UFA's, it's not that simple. There's 30 teams in the league... and that UFA can only sign with one of them. They all have their own reasons for choosing the team they choose (competitiveness, money, location, team/GM/ownership environment, etc), and that saying that players only go to these locations is generalizing too much.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."