Thread: Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
penguins2946*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
We are at a point now in the organization where we can take our time with prospects. No reason to rush any of them until they prove that they are above AHL competition, and in their call-up's, that they are ready to be productive members of an NHL team. We have very little to lose. I think you're sort of seeing that with Harrington now. Had we been back 4-5 years, Harrington would more than likely be getting big mins in the AHL right now. Fact is, there's no space for him, and it doesn't necessarily hurt him keeping him in Jr.

The one and only guy who could be in the NHL before he's completely ready is Bennett, and that's mainly because I feel he can bring things to special teams that will help this team, even if his 5-on-5 play is lackluster while he gets used to the game.

I think in regards to Bennett, that is a point that gets lost a lot. People speak about how Crosby needs linemates, and it's a big point, but I think the biggest point is having a guy on that left wall who can pass and shoot well...a guy who has creativity, and poise where we can run the unit from both sides. Getting a powerplay in the 20% range will be huge for us.
Harrington isn't allowed in the AHL, but I get what you are saying. I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett is on the NHL team next year, not because he should be there, but because we desperately need a replacement for Sully. Or what we could do is bring back Gonch and put Letang where Sully was.