Old
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Very much agree, Truck.

I'm hopeful our young players will really contribute at the NHL level within the next two to three years, to take advantage of current core guys of LLW, Pavs and Toby being in their primes.

If it becomes apparent they won't be able to contribute within that timeframe, then upgrades via trade and FA is definitely needed. Really, the only concern i had with signing Oli is his age. In short-term, he's a big help, but his long-term value to the Jets is marginal, imo.

I'd target a bit younger a player via trade - say a Bobby Ryan or Nick Backstrom-type (if the later is availabe due to his large contract and the asking price was 'reasonable') - to fill existing line-up holes.

If the Jets are drafting in the 10-20 slot this year, they may get a quality player, but that player would be 4+ yrs away. If they pick in the top 5, that player may only be 2-3 yrs away from contributing in a significant way.

I think the Jets rebuild is pretty fluent. I'm hopefuly if something pops up via trade market, that can speed this 'rebuild', Chevy jumps at it.
I can't get on board with a trade unless is is a crazy crazy bargain. The Jets simply don't have the roster or system depth to make a substantial move.

The only real redundancy they have is in bottom 6 players and right handed PP defenders. Moving anyone else screws and already shallow talent pool.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote