Thread: Gagner at 2c
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Too much of an issue is being made of Gagner's size. Sakic, Gretzky and Yzerman were Gagner's size. RNH and P Kane are quite a bit smaller.

It's like people expect a 2nd line center to be laying the body on people but the truth is that big hitting centers are very rare. Bobby Holik is the only guy that pops to mind as having a rep for consistantly throwing hard hits, having success at both ends of the rink and a long, healthy career. Even Lindros, at 6'4 245 lbs, couldn't play that style and stay healthy. When you play in the middle and you're expected to carry the puck you can't make enemies or you eventually get caught.

Gagner was strong enough to play in the NHL at 18 and he's still going to get stronger, physically he's capable of being a good #2C. If the Oilers want size and strength the place for that is on the wing. If the Oilers could package a winger and some picks/prospects for Lucic I'd be all over it.
Ya, I would just like to know who every one has in mind as our perfect 2c. It is like every one is paiting a picture of some one and I have no idea who that is. Sam Gagner has stregths and weeknesses. Size isn't a stregth but oh well, not like it means he can't be a very good NHL player. If you just look at his stats, you think, hey there is a very promising young hockey player. Not sure why every one is down on the guy.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote