Thread: Gagner at 2c
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I put Yakupov ahead of him too and he has not played an NHL shift.

This issue I was talking about was their role on the team going forward. It would seem pretty clear that until he shows he cannot make the transition to the NHl that Schultz is being viewed as a key cog going forward. You can tell from his contract negotiations that this is not the case with Gagner. If he was viewed in the same light as the guys I mentioned he would not have been offered a one year deal.

If there is a season and Gagner takes his game to another level I will be happy to admit I sold him short. But at this point his place on the totem pole is definitely moving downward. I'll expand my previous list and say that at this point I think he is behind Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle, Schultz, Smid and Petry in terms of players who the team would see as more integral to their future.

If he is not viewed as part of the core, then the team is very unlikely to try and provide him with a situation that is suited to his game. At this point it is up to him to adjust his game to fit a role as a complementary player. Given his skill set and that of the players ahead of him on the organizational chart I don't think he will be here that long.

I actually like Gagner as a player more than most of the people who don't think he fits on this team. I like the fight he brings with him, but he still loses far to many battles. He clearly has excellent hockey sense and I think that given the right wingers he could be a very effective player. The problem is that this team has several players who at this point are also fairly one dimensional, but they are also better in that single dimension than Gagner is.
Yakupov is just a bit ahead of Schultz on the curve. Schultz right now is almost exactly the same age as Gagner was at the start of last season.

If you took a 22 year old SG and threw him on this OKC team with this year's version of Eberle, Hall, RNH he'd probably be lighting it up too. How many points did Gagner have in the nhl last year when he played with Hall and Eberle?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote