View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Good summary, I have been working in Russia for six years. It has been quite interesting watching the rapid development of Russia
Yes, the last 13-15 years have been good for Russia. The turn-around started after the financial collapse in 1998 and the devaluation of the ruble. The economy started to grow in 1999 and has grown in each year since except for 2009 during the global financial crisis.

I think there is some reluctance in the West to admit how much Russia has progressed since 1998. It really is a different country now.

Quote:
(It will continue for years to come aswell, unless something idiotic occurs such as Nemtsov or Navalny getting support).
I would not worry about Nemtsov, Navalny and Udaltsov too much. They are a fringe political movement in Russia that receive too much attention in the Western media compared to their minimal political weight in Russia. The Communists are still the only opposition that really matters in Russia.

The only scenario where people like Navalnyi, Nemtsov and Udaltsov could be dangerous is that Russia enters some conflict or crisis. We have to remember that the changes of Lenin and Trotsky succeeding in their revolution would have been zero had Russia not foolishly entered the World War I. Navalnyi and Udaltsov are not Lenin and Trotsky. And Russia is not in a war.

Quote:
Funnily enough Grozny is going through an enormous boom, turning into a mini Dubai.
Not all folks in Russia are happy about this. Grozny (and all of Chechnya) has been rebuilt with federal money. Chechnya is like a big economic blackhole. It takes money from the federation without giving anything in return.

Yes, Grozny looks nice and dandy today. But many ethnic Russians are asking why could the same money not be used to build ancient but run-down Russian cities like Novgorod and Smolensk. The money Chechnya receives from Moscow is seen as a bribe in exchange for stability. It has been expensive but has somewhat worked since Chechnya has been pretty calm recently. Now the islamic insurgency has spread to neighbouring republics of Dagestan and Ingushetia. I don't think Russia is rich enough to finance these republics in a similar manner so Russia has to think other ways to deal with the islamists there.

Last edited by Peter25: 12-18-2012 at 06:49 AM.