View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Number8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
For most of us to have our pay cut 24% would mean we'd no longer be able to afford to live, or at the very least would have to cut out or cut back on quite a few necessities to do so. That's obviously not the case with these guys who can afford multiple houses, multiple vehicles, and a plethora of toys to boot.

Also, players enter into their contracts knowing full well CBA negotiations can and most likely will redefine those terms. In that context, you may not like it but it's something you have to accept. I get a bonus yearly based on the companies profit margin and in certain years because the company didn't meet expectations (set by the owners) for profit margin the bonus was held back. I didn't like it, but I didn't refuse to work because I didn't get it. It was cushion money, not a necessity I needed to live.
So the players are wealthy. Big deal. So are the owners -- in most cases many many times more so. Your argument that that somehow justifies a bogus initial offer is like me coming to you and saying "hey, I see you just paid off your mortgage -- now that you can afford it I'm raising your property taxes by a couple grand a year".

I'm not saying these guys aren't lucky and or tremendously blessed. I was just saying that anyone who can casually say that the players should have just chuckled at the first low ball offer and not been offended is not operating in reality -- and I don't care how little or much you make.

And as far as the bolded goes, this is a lockout, not a strike.

Bottom line is the NHL came in with an obnoxious offer at the outset. Either they are fools (perhaps this is true given how badly they screwed the math in the last CBA despite wide acceptance that they "won" that round) or they wanted the lockout in place for several months or the whole year to begin with. Either way, it paints them in an entirely unpleasant light.