View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 01:17 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
NFL only works that way because their CBA specifically allows/creates it. If you had a contract in the real world you would usually have more of a safety net than that.

Of course that's the difference between working with a contract and working without one. Without a contract you can be fired. Of course you're also free to leave and "play for the competition" in most cases as well, and sports would be no fun if that could happen more freely.

I have no problem with contracts the way they are now, more or less. The marginal guys only get 1 year and a 1 year bad investment isn't an issue. The big contracts backfiring punishes stupid managers which is highly entertaining for me. A truly free market NHL would probably support even higher contract values (granted, with fewer job opportunities because some bottom-tier teams probably wouldn't survive) but I don't care much one way or the other.
Right and just like that the contracts currently can be collectively bargained so can the immediate rollback in players salaries. Thats why they are locked out right now.

I sign a contract for every job but its not guaranteed and thats the case for 99.9% of the population. What fantasy world are the players living in?

Unions were SUPPOSED to be established to help the little guy against big business. These days they mostly help overpaid athletes making millions of dollars a year.

Last edited by BobRouse: 12-18-2012 at 01:24 PM.