View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, numerous newspaper accounts I've found mention that Lumley was neck and neck with Broda for the Vezina in 1947 until the end of the season, when Toronto beat Detroit twice in the same weekend to give Broda the victory. If those games go the other way, Lumley has two Vezinas, one in 1947 and the other in 1954.

I honestly think that had Lumley stayed on the Wings in 1950 or had he been traded to a better team than the Black Hawks, he could have won more awards. He was regarded as one of the best goalies at that time, and he was fresh off a Stanley Cup win, not to mention a near-Vezina a few years earlier. After he left the Hawks, and joined the Maple Leafs, he had his two best seasons. He nearly had the Vezina in 1955, too. He actually had a better GAA than Sawchuk, but the Red Wings had given up one fewer goal overall, and thus won it.
I'm assuming you mean 1948, when Broda won the Vezina? What does it say about Lumley that he almost won the Vezina (equal to the modern Jennings), but only finished 4th in All Star voting? That doesn't sound to me like he was hurt by the team he was on.

Obviously, playing on a better defensive team = more old Vezinas, but I don't really care about the old Vezina any more than I care about the modern Jennings.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote