View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
A) Don't see why that changes the argument that hockey is a suburban sport - nor why Copenhagen is essential to the growth of hockey in Denmark.

B) That period of time is not comparable to the current period of time in terms of economy. And if you ask me - which you most likely wouldn't 'cause you get a deadbeat answar - nor is the political demand to upgrade the unionlife(Foreningslivet - not quite sure how to put in English) for the working class in the suburbans. The city halls around Denmark are year after year trying to cope with the pressure of their duties to society while getting budget cut after budget cut. There is - nor in crisis or good times - a which that city hall takes care of anything else the what's demanded. And that's not a change in the structure of sports in Denmark. Frankly it should be. Hockey will do just fine without the government leading it on...

And jet Badminton isn't #2 sport in Denmark... It's 5th pr. DIF. I haven't got a clue about how to get results in Badminton but

A) From what I know Badminton to creates the elite talent in strong environments outside of Copenhagen.

B) Since the one sport is a either one-man-game or a two-man-game and the other needs at least sixteen good players I would say the demand for diversity is different.

Don't shoot the messenger but the demand for such a gamble on icehockey isn't there. The people of Silkeborg, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Holstebro, Viborg, Slagelse or Vordingborg haven't been rioting for new icehockey rinks.

I simply can't see the crime in pointing out that with what's in hand, we can take maybe not the top level but possibly into the worlds top 8. Our current set-up has gotten us this far and will possibly bring us further in slow but steady pace if we just focus the energy on where there is a demand for it instead of wishing for something that ain't gonna happen.

Yeah well if the club they play at sucks they gonna quit right after the WC is over. One thing isn't gonna do on it's own but hearing about it from your school mates, experiencing good coaches, fun practices and playing tournaments in other countries sure is a bigger thing if you ask me.

1) Actually I would say with the "gentrification" (increased marked value of central capital areas) kids that have more economic affluent parents might actually choose hockey, especially since central Copenhagen really lack behind in other sports beside football (as you said). People in central Copenhagen are not poorer than people in the suburbs anymore. So I don't think it is written that hockey should stay as a suburban sport. Actually the lack of so many sport could be an advantage for a new sport bursting forward...less competition.
I agree that the econonic climate doesn't make it likely for the commune or some private guy to build major sports arenas or training facilitlies in Copenhagen. But if one will be build it's the lack of other opportunities that could bring more to choose hockey as their sport.

The lack of demand for hockey rinks in the areas you mention is because people don't even reflect over the opportunity. But if you get it build then the interest will spread through schools.......it just that in my oppinion opportunity to see and play (often with friends from school) is the most important factor when you choose a sport as a kid. But for such an exotic sport as badminton (as it is to the rest of europe) to be 5'th tells alot about that access makes for members. I totally agree that a club in itself isn't enough. It has to be run the right way to attract kids and fans. But all sports and clubs are in direct competition that way.

I mean we are 12-13 world ranking with just 4.000 registred players. It could take decades to reach into top-8, but the future is hard to predict. It's whether hockey in Denmark will get over the critical face of becoming a "household" sport, or it's just a temporary bloom. Qualifying for the olympic games would be quite important since the team would get almost all the danish media attention since they have no other danish wintersport competition than curling. If they do well then who knows after the olympics there could be an influx of kids wanting to play.

I agree that it's not likely that Denmark becomes a top-8 nation, but it's certainly not impossible either. It's certainly also possible that kids in Copenhagen would want to play hockey as kids in a suburb if they have a good local opportunity to do so.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote