Thread: AAA 2012 Draft
View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I disagree with those last 3. Cechmanek had a peak that was high enough(despite how short it was) to warrant selection here. Cechmanek is a bad pick in the AAA draft being a 3-time top 5 goalie in a deep talent pool, and Bill Barilko belongs in the ATD for playing 5 seasons, not doing anything of note, and dying? There's some real modern bias going here where the stigmas attached to players are getting in people's ways of realizing their actual accomplishments. Cheechoo is the same thing.
Well, the thing is there are people who think that Cechmanek’s high peak was a complete and utter fraud,

Quote:
Same thing can be seen by the fact that nowhere does Mike Ribeiro even get a mention in AS voting, despite being an elite offensive force at this level.
There are 24 top-6 centers in this draft, and about a dozen of them are practically interchangeable, and only 7 made the all-star teams. Olczyk, Ribeiro, Bullard and Ruzicka were just a little bit behind 7th-place Stumpel.

Quote:
The one, by far, that I disagree with most is Erat. He's a remarkably consistent offensive player that has a higher adjusted PPG than Olli Jokinen(albeit in about 400 less games). His adjusted PPG is .716 over 687 games!! He's a great spare. He doesn't have a great peak, but he's a sure bet for 50 points every single year, and that's not something a lot of players at this level can say.
Maybe the guys were a little hard on Erat. He’s probably one of only a few players riding an 8-year 49+ point streak. *

At the same time, he’s been a mid-level contributor (usually 3rd-5th on the team aside from last 2 years) to a mediocre offense. And without some kind of a peak, can you really trust him on a scoring line when other peoples’ lines are full of guys with proven ability to score 60-80 points? And what else does he do to make himself useful on the other lines?

I don’t think he “had no business being picked” but I think he’s more of a AA steady 2nd line guy if anything.

*Edit: just checked, the list is just 14 names long.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote