View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Run the Jewels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
You take the franchise center every single time. Unless you are talking a player the caliber of a Lidstrom/Bourque/Potvin you are always far better off with the center. They impact the game far more than any but the most elite of elite defenseman will. Not to mention centers can play immediately and have an impact while even the most polished defenseman will take several years to really become dominant and the Wings are definitely not a team with the luxury of time considering the aging core.

Think of it like this, if you could take any player now to start a team, how high on your list would the first defenseman be? Would you take Karlsson over Crosby? Weber over Stamkos? Pietrangelo over Getzlaf? Suter over Malkin? I'm not sure if I'd take a defenseman over any of the top 10 centers in the NHL and when you are talking about Jones vs. MacKinnon I feel Mac is far more likely to be a top 10 center one day than Jones is to be a Norris-level complete defenseman. Wasn't Hedman rated even higher than Jones is? Larsson? Just goes to show how long it takes to develop a defenseman to that elite level compared to a center who steps in day 1 and does it.
Yeah, I agree with this. Even with guys like Erik Johnson and Victor Hedman you are not getting a guy who is going to have the immediate impact that Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Malkin and Toews have at the NHL level. The return is much, much quicker on a forward and as we all know we lack depth in our top 6. We've got solid if unspecatuclar d-men and I think you can fill needs there at a much cheaper cost than you can by trying to acquire top 6 forwards.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote