View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I'll give King an advantage offensively here, but Friesen helps to close the gap by bring some intangibles like grit and defensive play later in his career.
He had those things for most/all of his career, not just at the end when his offense dried up. He was also much more prominent to his teams' offense. Don't forget that he was one of the fastest players in the NHL.

Quote:
-Carter and Colville is a sort of hard comparison. Colville had the benefit of being the 3rd wheel on a great line, but brings some glue guy skills to the table as well. Carter had good size, but the impression I get from him is that he didn't use it all that much. He used it to gain position in front of the net and shield the puck, but didn't seem like much of a grinder considering he topped 40PIM only once in his career. Each guy has 6 seasons of over 40% of 2nd place, and they add up to 337 for Colville, and 318 for Carter. But, take into account Colville being helped by linemates, and his advantage gets smaller. Take into account that Colville was known as a good defensive player, I think he gets the advantage here. He also missed a couple years that likely would have been productive years as a result of being in WWII for 3 years.
You're being generous. Colville has better offensive stats than most O6 wingers selected, and has the two-way game in addition to that. Carter doesn't really match up in any way that I can see.

Colville was voted an all-star in this draft, and Carter was one of the least popular picks here (and I didn't even vote for him).

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote