Thread: Proposal: Sj-nyr
View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I don't think it's absurd to suggest that adding a player of Boyle's caliber makes the Rangers a better team. The Rangers have shown a propensity to add big name players, so speculation that the Rangers could have interest in adding someone like Boyle isn't exactly crazy either.

I haven't studied the Rangers' cap situation, so I can't speak to whether it would be a plausible move (judging by the consensus in this thread, it wouldn't), but Boyle would make the Rangers a better team this year. Better teams have a better chance to win a Stanley Cup.
This I wouldn't argue with.

Does Boyle make them a somewhat better team? Yes he can.

The propensity to add big name players have not been via the trade route aside from the recent Nash acquisition.

Aside from that, the big name guys they have acquired have been via Free Agency and after the Nash trade, the Rangers need to keep all the young and cheap NHL Talent they can get their hands on.

Hagelin, Boyle and Stralman individually can be moved, although I would have a real hard time moving Hagelin. Defensively responsible forwards with offensive ability and top 3 NHL Speed) are hard to come by.

Trading youth like this for an over the hill (still effective) offensive defenceman is something the pre-2005 Rangers made all the time.

In a capped world, it's not a smart play.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote