Thread: The ref thread
View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
mbhhofr

vCash: 500
My first minor pro game when I was nineteen. I came home from work at 5:30 pm and my parents were all excited. I got a call to work my first pro game on the lines at 7:30 that night. Ate dinner and went to the game. No time to really prepare for it.

I was an emergency replacement Linesman for the NHL in Minnesota. It was a Saturday afternoon game between the Blackhawks and North Stars. I went down to the dressing room before the game to say hello to the guys who were working the game. Walked into the room and was told to get my equipment because the referee, Vern Buffey, couldn't get into Minnesota because of bad weather out east. Didn't have my equipment in the car. I had worked a College game the previous night and hung my stuff out to dry and didn't pack it when I went to the game. Fortunately, I only lived ten minutes from the rink. Went home got my stuff and when I got back to the rink, they had started the game with two officials. I changed into my gear, no one else in the dressing room to talk with and got out onto the ice with around five minutes already played. Another first game with no time to prepare.

I have a lot of other situations and experiences from a thirty-five year career.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote