View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Nihiliste

vCash: 500
I think Edler (LH) and Karlsson (RH) are the clear two best Dmen on the team at this point, LH/RH shot matchup, and Edler will bring a little bit of experience and a more defensive style to that pairing.

Similarly OEL (LH) and Kronwall (RH) are in my opinion the clearcut choice to try as a second pairing, youth and experience, great on both ends of the rink, both used to playing big roles with their NHL clubs.

I think wrapping it up with Enstrom - Hedman would provide a solid, positionally sound 3rd pairing that will again be effective on both ends of the ice. Carry Hjalmarsson as the 7th dman in case of injuries and for PK duties if necessary, though I don't forsee that being a problem with such a strong core.

Forwards a little bit more tricky in my opinion. Obviously the Sedins stay together, but who plays on their right side. With the way they dominate and control the puck I almost wouldn't want to use Loui there, and maybe instead give them a guy like Hornqvist to ride shotgun to them, and provide some grit and finishing to that line. And Landeskog should ultimately stay on LW.

I want to keep Franzen and Zetterberg together because of their established chemistry but at the same time I salivate at the idea of a Landeskog - Zetterberg - Eriksson line in terms of driving opposition squads crazy with their defensive play, forechecking, and puck possession. However, on an international squad like this I think a premium has to be placed on existing chemistry, and Zetterberg hasn't been quite the same for the last year or two. Backstrom is effective defensively too, and better offensively, so if he is healthy perhaps he's a better choice to center those two guys.

Putting Steen on a line with Zetterberg and Franzen could provide a very tenacious third line that's difficult to play against, but perhaps limits their offensive potential. Not sure whether it makes more sense to use Steen there or play him as 4th line C.

To be honest I find the lack of proven forward depth concerning when putting together this squad. My thought process would be to play steen with Zetterberg, and lean heavily on the top 3 lines, putting the 4th out there only for a few mins per game. If Berglund was better on the wing I would try him in that 3rd line spot but I've never been impressed with him there.

So:

Sedin - Sedin - Hornqvist
Landeskog - Backstrom - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Steen
Hagelin - Berglund - Stalberg

Edler - Karlsson
OEL - Kronwall
Enstrom - Hedman
Hjalmarsson

4th line I'm not sure.

I would try to match up those 2nd and 3rd lines against the oppositions top offensive threats and try to get the Sedins out there on the PP and against weaker d pairings to dominate and put up numbers.