View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
You are misreprsenting, or misinterpreting, what Bylsma said. He said that he sees Despres as more of a big-bodies, physical type of Dman who could play the left side with a guy like Letang (editorial note: in the future, such as a replacement for Orpik). Orpik will get moved eventually, but it's not going to happen now, and Despres isn't ready. His play so far this year has proven that, and our other, more NHL ready prospects who are waiver eligable necessitate it.

Despres may one day make a good partner for Letang, but then again there's just as much of a possibility that Despres gets traded or out-played for that spot by guys like Dumoulin/Harrington/Maatta/Morrow or other guys. The Pens would not have gone so hard after Suter if they really believed that they had a top-pairing, NHL ready Dman in their prospect pool. Realize it.
I don't think he's misrepresenting or misinterpreting what Bylsma said at all:

Quote:
“Our guys, here in Pittsburgh, like Simon as a guy who make a pass and make a play,” Bylsma said. “I like him as a big-body guy who can defend. Putting him next to Kris you see a formidable pair.

“Both are guys who can defend and both are guys who make a play in every category of the game.”
http://www.timesonline.com/mobile/ar...91001990e.html

And:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...ns-buzz/50791/

Those do not sound like longview, Orpik-replacement statements. I think Simon will get a real opportunity to play with Letang whenever the league starts up again.

That doesn't mean he'd be a bona-fide "top-pairing defenseman" as a rookie any more than Huskins was a top pairing defenseman when he was Pietrangelo's regular partner last year. It just means he'd play on the top pairing. Going after Suter means nothing, in that context.