View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not all draft picks are equal. Late birthdays are technically finishing their 18 year old years when they are drafted...versus regular picks like Eberle and Giroux and Scheifele are finishing their 17 year old year when drafted. So it's not necessarily surprising when a 19 year old fails to make the NHL team, and spends two more years in junior. But with late birthdays like Sutter, the second year after they are drafted is their 20 year old year, so it IS quite concerning when they fail to make the AHL. They can be assigned to the AHL in their second year after being drafted, unlike "normal" picks. This year is Sutter's 19 year old year and should be looked upon it as such (same as Scheifele's year this year). Imagine if Scheifele got sent back to junior next year...
Ahh, gotcha. I hear with what you are saying in regards to the late birthday thing. I guess I don't know if that's more important than the actual amount of games played and practices attended by players playing the same amount of seasons in the CHL.

So I guess I'm just thinking that a late birthday could be more physically ready after their second year after being drafted (20 year old year), but in terms of games played and CHL development they would be in the same place as other guys regardless of age.