View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Depth scoring can get you to the playoffs.

Once you're there and things tighten up you need big scorers that are gonna step up, or you're gonna have a hard time getting where you need to go.

Just ask the Rangers. They put up very good offensive numbers in the regular season--at least at even strength anyway. Once they got to the playoffs they were dismal offensively because there wasn't enough star power. Gaborik had one arm and Richards was PPG. That's pretty much it.

Now the Kings really only had one guy doing it too, Kopitar. But they had Dustin Brown step up and become that guy in the playoffs. Now I'm not saying there isn't a guy on the Blues who will step up, but you're not gonna get away with spreading the wealth for about the neighborhood of 23-27 playoff games.
While I understand what you are saying, and I agree to a point, 23-27 games is too long of a stretch to put all of your eggs into one basket up-front. Even the Rangers don't do that.

Unfortunately the Blues don't have the financial wherewithall to afford multiple gamebreaking forwards upfront. The Rangers had Gaborik, added Richards. Still not enough? They went out and added Nash. The Blues simply can't afford to do that.

For the price the Rangers were going to pay Marion Gaborik, Brad Richards, and Rick Nash for the 2012-13 season, the Blues could afford to pay Andy McDonald, David Backes, T.J. Oshie, David Perron, Alex Steen, Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund, Matt D'Agostini, Vladimir Sobotka, and Scott Nichol. (That's 10 of the 14 possible forwards. Only missing are Jamie Langenbrunner, Chris Porter, Ryan Reaves, and Vladimir Tarasenko. Combined those forwards would cost the Blues $3.4M before bonuses. Throw in New York's fourth highest paid forward, Ryan Callahan, and the top four forwards on the Rangers make more than the entire Blues forward corps.)

Do the Blues need more forwards who are closer to the 70 point mark than they currently have? Yes. The Blues need an upgrade at forward, preferably center. Many people think that Tarasenko can be that guy after a year or two of adjustment. I hope he can be.

The fact of the matter is the Blues are going to need a couple of players upfront to get hot and carry the load in the playoffs if they are going to win the Cup. The Blues have a few players that tend to get points in bunches, so it is certainly possible. Likely? No. Is it ideal? No, far from it. But it is what the Blues can afford. On their budget, it seems the best way to go.

Last edited by bluemandan: 12-18-2012 at 09:13 PM.
bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote