View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 10:14 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
You essentially listed all the exceptions. If you have elite offensive numbers, you are usually a #1 defenseman, at the very least top pairing. Even Mike Green, who takes a regular beating here, is a top pairing Dman. 35ish points (MA Bergeron) isnt elite. Sheldon souray was a top pairing D-men in his prime years (64 point season and 53 point season). Like kaberle, he has since fell off.

Look at the defensemen below

#1 - Shea Weber
#2 - Zdeno Chara

#3 - Erik Karlsson
#4 - Alex Pietrangelo
#5 - Ryan Suter
#6 - Nicklas Lidstrom (retired)
#7 - Kris Letang
#8 - Drew Doughty
#9 - Duncan Keith
#10 - Keith Yandle
#11 - Dan Boyle
#12 - Alexander Edler

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1247437

Those are the top 12 defenseman in the league as voted by Hfboards. Elite Dmen. How many of them arent a surefire bet for 50+ points? Ryan suter and Zdeno Chara, but they are the best two defensive d-men in the league and are sure bets for 45+ points.
Also look at our very own Dion. Back when he used to get 60 points, he had norris nominations. But now that he only gets 45 points, many dont even consider him a top pairing d-man, but a "good #3" (which I find funny). Interesting to note that Dion is better defensively now than he was at 22...

Second, very few defenseman who produce that many points are as terrible defensively as the defenseman you listed, thats why its such a short list. The chances of Schultz being that bad are very low (looking at history). Most defenseman of this calibre are able to use their IQ and skating to be at least OK defensively (two traits they usually possess when notching up elite point totals). Thats why, when looking at Schultz' AHL production, there is little risk in predicting that he will be a top d-men in the league.
I love this. Got both in my Keeper league.

I think you find that elite offensive D-men like the forwards before them will end up sacrificing some offensive numbers to become better defensively.

Now if you are lucky to to be on a great team like Lidstrom was, offensive numbers will remain high because o hte system in place.

I think it would do everyone a world of good to look at Scott Stevens' carreer if you want to see an offensive player sacrifice offense and change his game to become a more defensive player. Then on to become an elite defensive player.

Example #2 would be Chris Chelios. An offensive weapon who never put up the numbers he was capable of because he was always defensively minded. One of the greatest all round D-men to play the game.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote