View Single Post
Old
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
While I understand what you are saying, and I agree to a point, 23-27 games is too long of a stretch to put all of your eggs into one basket up-front. Even the Rangers don't do that.

Unfortunately the Blues don't have the financial wherewithall to afford multiple gamebreaking forwards upfront. The Rangers had Gaborik, added Richards. Still not enough? They went out and added Nash. The Blues simply can't afford to do that.

For the price the Rangers were going to pay Marion Gaborik, Brad Richards, and Rick Nash for the 2012-13 season, the Blues could afford to pay Andy McDonald, David Backes, T.J. Oshie, David Perron, Alex Steen, Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund, Matt D'Agostini, Vladimir Sobotka, and Scott Nichol. (That's 10 of the 14 possible forwards. Only missing are Jamie Langenbrunner, Chris Porter, Ryan Reaves, and Vladimir Tarasenko. Combined those forwards would cost the Blues $3.4M before bonuses. Throw in New York's fourth highest paid forward, Ryan Callahan, and the top four forwards on the Rangers make more than the entire Blues forward corps.)

Do the Blues need more forwards who are closer to the 70 point mark than they currently have? Yes. The Blues need an upgrade at forward, preferably center. Many people think that Tarasenko can be that guy after a year or two of adjustment. I hope he can be.

The fact of the matter is the Blues are going to need a couple of players upfront to get hot and carry the load in the playoffs if they are going to win the Cup. The Blues have a few players that tend to get points in bunches, so it is certainly possible. Likely? No. Is it ideal? No, far from it. But it is what the Blues can afford. On their budget, it seems the best way to go.
A guy like Gaborik or Nash sure would have come in handy against Quick. Scoring by committee is nice, but you need elite scorers to beat elite goalies. Also, it's not fair to use Tarasenko. He'll be making a lot if he turns out to be what he's been hyped to. Kreider and Stepan don't make a lot either.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote