View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 01:19 AM
caley

vCash: 500
It's really tough to say, as the WJHC are traditionally not a tournament where draft eligible players shine. That's not to say it's not made a few players careers, either.

I know there were supposedly a few scouts (Though none of them would own up to it now), who said they would take Kessel over Crosby after his 4 goal outing in the 2004-05 WJHC if the NHL lock-out forced the combining of the 2004 and 2005 drafts.

I also remember that in 2006 it was Erik Johnson's dominant performance at the WJHCs that skyrocketed him up to being a consensus first overall pick.

I'd say the back half of the CHL season and playoffs will affect the rankings more than the WJHC. If Halifax does anything but cake-walk through the QMJHL playoffs, or one or both of them no-show the playoffs (Which is what the belief was about Mikhail Grigorenko last year in the playoffs, that he disappeared when the going got tough, leading him to drop right out of the Top 3 all the way to 12 come draft time, even though it was established he was battling mono at the time of the playoffs), it will have a much more deleterious effect on their rankings. Likewise, if Seth Jones can't handle another team's top line in the first or second round of the playoffs, it will be much worse for him ranking-wise, then if he has a quiet WJHC.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote