View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What does Harrington playing (or not) have to do w/ Tierney's production? With Domi missing the last two games Tierney was given a bit more of an offensive role but he's regularly used as the shutdown/checking center - I'm not sure how much more Hunter can "relegate him to his very specific role".

As Sirom mentioned Tierney has been playing at a PPG pace over the past 5 or 6 weeks which is really good when you consider his role. His development seems to be going just fine.
Oh no, I totally agree, I didn't say his Development was shaky or not going fine. I'm merely watching him play.

Despite his last 2 big games (due to Domi's absence as you mentioned), His Ozone vs. DZone starts have fallen in this stretch. The sample size is small, but come January it should be more telling. Meaning Hunter is using him even more as a defensive crutch to help out the d-pairings (minus Zadorov and company), and utilizing his faceoff prowess to get the team out of the defensive zone. The effect of Zone starts are substantial on offensive output (it's +.42 per 60mins in the NHL according to Charron--and I'd speculate higher in the O), when Harrington returns I expect that number to correct itself. And for Tierney to get more OZone starts. The impact of this is--even with Domi back, hopefully it will correlate to more offensive production so the team doesn't invest in another top 6 forward, because if that's the case he'll lose what few PP time he gets, and obtain fewer ozone starts.

Last edited by Craig Fischer: 12-20-2012 at 01:59 AM.