Thread: Value of: Plekanec, Eller & DD
View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
The problem with this logic is that you are looking at dollars and not players. When GM's have the opportunity to sign a great player, they will take it or risk losing out. What if Nashville hadn't signed Rinne and BOTH left?

You could point to the Chicago-Philly finals of a couple years ago to support your point, or you could look to the last 2 playoffs where the winning team's goalie won MVP.

Also, as a Habs fan, do you really think that signing guys like Gomez (7mil), Cammy (6mil), Gionta (5mil), Kaberle (4.25mil) is a better investment worth downgrading to a mediocre goalie from a franchise goalie in Price?

My point is that it is not a simple division of salaries by position, it's who you're paying and how well they play. I'd rather invest $7mil for Rinne than any of the players on Montreal listed above (and Cammy).
What if Nashville lost Rinne? Probably the same thing that happened to Florida and Phoenix after the lost of their elite goalie in Vokoun and Bryzgalov and replaced them by cheap UFA: Florida had their best season in a decade and Phoenix their best season in history. What if Florida retained Vokoun at 5 000 000+ instead of a Theodore + a Versteeg of Fleishmann? How many hockey expert predicted without Bryzgalov, Phoenix didnt had a chance ? (they gave the $ to Yandle instead)

i dont want to show all the stats against because i already sound like a broken disk and many other fans saw all that before. But i can give you a link.

I can tell you, if we take into account all teams and all games played in the past 2 seasons, there is indeed a negative correlation between a team success and how much % of their budget they invest in goalie.

Last edited by palindrom: 12-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote