View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Gump Worsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

It's definitely messy. It's definitely reasonable to have Fuhr/Worsley 1/2 and I'm considering doing so myself, but is that just doing the easy thing and throwing the two remaining dynasty goalies in the top 2 spots?

Does Worsley have fewer negatives than Lumley or Rayner? I honestly think he might have more negatives - Rayner never lost his starting job on merit until he was older (in 1948, there was Henry coming back from the war and an injury involved and Rayner got the job back by the playoff), and if Lumley lost his starting job, it was when he was older and there was a holdout involved. Worsley was in a tandem a couple of times in NY and had trouble establishing himself as the starter in Montreal. On the other hand, Worsley definitely has more positives than those two - namely winning 4 Cups, 2 as a starter, 1 in a tandem with Charlie Hodge, and 1 in a tandem with Rogie Vachon.
Tremendously overrating Gump Worsley here. Cup counting at its worse. During the four seasons that the Canadiens won the SC with Worsley he appeared in a total of 140 regular season games = average of 35 games. Remove a 51 games season and the average dips to under 30 games. This is about the number of games Bunny Larocque played per season as Ken Dryden's back-up. Basically a tandem goalie all the way thru with the Canadiens.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...worslgu01.html

Lumley and Rayner were much better goalies. Reasons listed above plus previously in the thread.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote