View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I disagree and you contradicted yourself a bit in the first two paragraphs.

I think they signed him for a few reasons. Firstly because they knew they needed to improve the D, and if they went into the season with the same exact D, the fans would have really let them have it. Secondly I'm pretty sure their first hope is that he could play with EJ and free him up to be more offensive. Thirdly they probably hope that as a secondary plan, he can play with Elliott or Barrie and be a good defensive anchor and teacher. Finally I think they see him as a replacement for O'Byrne as a pure defensive D man, allowing/hoping for Siemens to step in when Zanon's contract is up.

It's not a frantic panic move, but it was a bit panicky IMO because they missed out on Suter and needed to go into the season improving the D somehow. Unfortunately it kind of locks them into the same D for a year or two until you let enough time pass to trade one of the guys.
First of all, I think it's pretty generous to refer to that non-structured mess I wrote as "paragraphs".

Secondly, I don't think Joe Sacco is the guy signing UFAs. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if he 'Kobasewed' Zanon and put him on the top pairing to start the year. [Zanon might play well there for a while but I don't think he'd be able to maintain his play all season long]

*I'd LOVE to believe that everyone is all on the same page, GM-coach but history has shown this NOT to be the case in recent years.

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote