Old
12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Decided to be back.

Having a long look at Alec Connell's career.

Judging by results, and composition of the team, I suspect he was robbed of a AST berth (likely 3rd and probably 2nd -- why did Worters ended up with that one?!?!?!) -- it's not like the Falcons were great, and remember, Goodfellow wasn't yet a D.

Who was the 3rd AST in 31-32?

I really like Connell for this round : certain Top-8 as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know; we already have a lot of goalies who peaked in the late 20s on the list (not as many as from the 1970s, but the late 20s looks to be our next most represented period); I guess it maybe was a really strong time for goalies, though hard to separate the low GAAs from the rules at the time.

This is the voting for 1931-32. Connell barely got any recognition:

GOALTENDER: FIRST TEAM: Charlie Gardiner, Chi 21; Tiny Thompson, Bos 3; Roy Worters, NYA 3; John Roach, NYR 2; George Hainsworth, Mtl 2; Lorne Chabot, Tor 1
SECOND TEAM: Roy Worters, NYA 11; George Hainsworth, Mtl 8; Charlie Gardiner, Chi 5; John Roach, NYR 5; Lorne Chabot, Tor 2; Alex Connell, Det 1

Hard to decipher, but assuming 2 points to 1st Team vote, 1 point to 2nd Team vote, that gives:

1. Gardiner 42 (looks like a unanimous 1st Team nod over pretty strong competition)
2. Worters 17
3. Hainsworth 12
4. Roach 9
5. Thompson 6
6. Chabot 4
7. Connel 1

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote