View Single Post
Old
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Giving Gillis the BoD, he only arrived in April and likely wasn't involved in any scouting outside the 1st round. Ones things for sure the Canucks seem to have learned a few lessons -

No more 1st round picks on guys like Smith and White. Wasting 1st rounders on reaches with limited offensive up side. Now we just need to stop the reaches in the 2nd round for guys like Mallet. I'm not adverse to the occasional flyer on someone like Grenier, a potential difference maker with his skill and size boom/bust.

Focus has moved off big Dmen with questionable IQs (less than the sum of their parts) towards smart Dmen with good skill sets (better than the sum of their parts). I can't see us take a Sauve over a Schultz again (hopefully).
I dunno if the Nucks have really 'learned' to not draft reaches in the 1st round, as MG seems to have had that down pat ever since his first pick - and done well in that regard too, even though I do agree with the principles you laid out anyway. If you're talking about the scouts though then maybe, yeah...

Now we just need to learn to take smart forwards with our mid-rounders. Hasn't that always been the mantra? Character, hockey sense and skill.

It seems though that we're finally picking up on identifying good, smart D-men with greater consistency, and hopefully this will soon extend to the forwards as well.