View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
It makes me chuckle to think that to prevent things from getting "out of control"... they turned to Barrasso. I just think when a goalie goes 7-1 entering the ECF, you should probably stick with him at least two games. After '93, I always felt more comfortable with Wregget for some reason. In game 6 in '96 he lets in the opening goal by clearing it off his d-man's leg into his own net, after a penalty was called. In game 7 it's tied 1-1 in the third period and he lets in a slapper from inside the blue line. In the second round in '99, he twice let in OT goals off rebounds in the opening couple minutes of OT. He had a winning record in the playoffs 4 times ('89, '91-'93) and a losing record in his other 9 playoffs. The Pens did flirt with more defensive systems (in '93 & '98, e.g.), but I don't think they could rely on Barrasso to carry the day, even as well as he played during their two Cups. It seemed like Wregget could bounce back from letting in a bad goal early more often than Barrasso, but that may be selective memory.
I posted a couple quotes earlier that offered some explanation for the 93' and 94' playoffs. I will look into some of the other years...96', 98', and 99' would probably offer the most as they were years where the Pens either upset another team or got upset.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote