View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 06:36 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think you're approaching this the wrong way, the feeling of needing to apologize for existing. Isn't the question more so about how the 1990's expansion was seemingly set on autopilot? Another way to look at it would be to ask what responsibility lay with the owners/league at that time to enable a successful expansion.
I do agree that there are owners that took the easy expansion money, and then just left teams to live or die. Look no further than the alignment. Look at the SE division, as one example. Washington has been around since the mid 70's, but they get pushed out of what was considered one of the better divisions in hockey, the Patrick division. They get put with a relocated Whaler team, and what was at the time 3 recent expansion teams. That's taking the expansion money 3 times over, getting rid of the Hartford Whalers, a WHA team that was never really wanted by some NHL teams from day 1, hiding them all in one basement, and throwing Washington to the curb so that, in part, Toronto could move east.

Those big teams in the northeast corridor, to me, are most at fault. They got the money, got away from the teams in the south that gave them the money(until the playoffs, but I guess you can't have everything), have their great compact travel divisions, and screwed pretty much every team in the Western Conference with a poor alignment. Two divisions that span 3 time zones. A conference that spans 4 time zones.

One thing though, just in general. Fans telling other fans that they shouldn't have a team, be it by relocation, or contraction, or no expansion, isn't very constructive. Since fans have no say in those things, you work with what is. There are 30 teams, where they currently exist, now make it work.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote