Thread: Line Combos: Defence (minus Cowen/Gonchar)
View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
while i don't know how much you have seen methot (i've never seen him play), i'm going to assume that he's pretty good, as someone here that has seen him play was saying he is very underrated. i'm going to say he isn't anything less than a #4. so assuming that he is a second pairing defenseman, and bouwmeester is a second pairing defenseman, we should be giving equal value to foligno for him, seeing as most of us thought foligno for methot was an overpayment on our part, and bouwmeester may be considered more valuable than methot, foligno should be about fair value (considering salary, calgary not needing bouwmeester badly).

i personally wouldn't trade for bouwmeester, but what we should be offering is probably a "b" prospect like da costa and a second, maybe a first depending on the defenseman. i like da costa, and don't consider him a "b" prospect, but i'm going by your ranking of prospects. da costa is a potential second line center that is defensively responsible enough to play on the third line, and a second (i know we don't have one this year) should be fair for a second pairing dman that hasn't shown any signs of being more than that, but is established in that position.

seeing that calgary needs bouwmeester (i think he's their #1 dman), they wouldn't trade him for anything short of an over-payment and would ask for more. at that point we bow out. trading a top prospect is not something you do unless you're packaging them for an impact player, not a short term (shortened season) need like a second pairing d-man, unless that has the potential to play the first pairing, or is just better than bouwmeester .

we can address this need in less expensive or more effective ways for similar cost than acquiring bouwmeester, i am sure of it.
Bouwmeester is far better than Methot is by any possible measure. Tremendously better. They are not really remotely comparable. Bouwmeester is a top 2 defenceman on virtually any team and if he is on the 2nd pairing you have a great defence. Comparing Methot to Bouwmeester in terms of value is craziness.

I don't even particularly like Bouwmeester but he is a very good defenceman and we need a good defenceman. There is very, very little player movement... every season there is less and less and signed players are worth more and more. Few player's every make it to UFAs.. they get resigned by their teams. And the few that get to UFA you have to overpay for and even if you are willing to overpay a lot it is still a crapshoot that the Senators can sign one of them with so many suitors. Which is why a player like Bouwmeester has significant value.

Bouwmeester is better than Cowen, Kuba or Gonchar at this point. And rather Easily too. If we were to acquire him the salary is not too large of a deal. We are not near the Cap and the $6.6 million he makes. $6.68 million cap hit... would be easily manageable if he makes us a more competitive team and helps us make the playoffs. It is only for the balance of this season and one more season then we could decide on resigning him.

Gonchar AND Lundin are UFAs after this season. We would have to find a vet or two veteran defencemen from somewhere after this season to be competitive regardless.

Think of it not as Bouwmeester but as a 25 minute a night proven 25-45 point 29 year old veteran that never misses any games to injury. Who can play on the PK and the PP and against any matchups at even strength. And he is among the better skaters in the NHL which fits our puck possession style. He is a very good commodity. A very, very useful player to any team. Even if he has his warts. I do think he is vastly underrated at this points. People talk like he is a piece of crap. He is so far from crap.. he just is not near the second coming of Scott Niedermeyer which is what people expected or still expect he should be. He isn't... he is however a better version of Kuba in pretty much every way. Younger, faster, healthier, better defensively and offensively.

If he was signed for 5 years at that high salary... it would be one thing. Now it is just a year and a half... if he fits the Senators you could resign him. If not then it is only a year and a half.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote