View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Josi, Ellis, and Blum are the closest we're ever gonna get. Smith and Wilson have solid potential too. We don't have any "elite" guys though.
Josi and Ellis each have an elite skill, but Blum I'd put at best in the hall of very good.

Smith is struggling this season and has Pekka and Mase in front of him and Hellberg knocking on the door from behind. I'm not sure Smith is ever going to get an opportunity.

Wilson doesn't have the skating ability to be an elite player, nor does he have the willingness to lower his shoulder consistently enough to be a power forward. Until he finds that balance in his game, he will continue to linger on the edge of breaking out.

The one prospect that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mattias Ekholm. He's won Rookie of the Year and Defenseman of the Year awards in the Swedish Elite League in back to back seasons and is adjusting to the North American game in Milwaukee right now. I think *if* NHL hockey is played this season that he will be one of the first recalls should a need develop on defense.

Overall though, the Predators don't draft star players. They draft safe players with untapped potential that they know will fit their systems and style over the long haul, but whom also have a skill or two that they can polish as the prospect develops. Our last draft class has a lot of diamonds in the rough that carry with them a lot of potential to be realized...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote