Thread: Speculation: More Luongo Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
But the standstill for FL started after the draft as the teams (also confirmed in the media) hadnt spoken prior to the lockout starting. That was basically 2+ months of not communicating about Luongo which should tell you how much FL really wants Luongo.

It took FLA and VAN longer than a year to complete the Booth deal. 2 months is nothing. Assuming of course that you believe reports that they haven't communicated in 2 months.

TO also tried to employ the waiting game in the offseason.

Quote:
As I said previously, it really ends up being not being able to absorb Luongo's $6.7 million salary for the next 5+ yrs without dealing a big salary in return. Gillis from his comments does not want to take salary back in the deal and that is where it all breaks down for FL. They would have to include a player making $3M+/yr and the only 2 guys that arent as critical to the team's success last yr was Kopecky and Upshall. Upshall has a NMC/modified NTC so that makes a deal more difficult to complete but not impossible. Still that leaves the Panthers on the hook for at least 2 more yrs at Luongo's salary where they wouldnt have Kopecky or Upshall anymore so thats a big factor as well (I'm figuring Luongo plays for the next 5 yrs at least).

If salary is the only caveat _AND_ Gillis is being compensated to take on that salary eventually, then I definitely see a deal go down between these teams. Gillis doesn't _want_ to take on salary. But if it came down to taking on temporary salary and getting the quality assets he wants, then I have to believe he will accept the salary to do the deal.

Time to wait and see if that is in fact the stumbling block to all of this.